Hello to all,
I would like to start off this month with a huge congratulations to a sector of our industry that we at San diego NACE had a part of. In October 2014 we had a NACE meeting in which that San Diego High School Pro Start Culinary Program. These high school students created our menu that evening and they even plated all of our dinners for us. We at San Diego NACE, took that and gave them a $500 check to aid them in their National Pro Start Competition. I am here to announce that the San Diego High School Pro Start Culinary Program took 2nd PLACE in the country in the Management Competition. We are proud to Brain Murphy their instructor and all under his tutelage and may they have continued success in years to come in this industry .
What a great honor it was this past week to see all of you at our April meeting at the Kona Kai Resort and Spa. We filled the room with over 105 attendees, including some of our 6 new members, and 7 students from the SDSU Hospitality and Tourism program. The outdoor setting for the networking hour had a fabulous view of the yachts and bay, and what seemed like endless tray pass appetizers.
As you may already know, our meeting was highlighted by our guest speaker , Mayor Kevin Faulconer. His motorcade whisked him in at 6:40 and he jumped right into the matter at hand of our fair cities aspects, starting with the Charger Stadium updates from that day!. Following the highlights, he generously answered 20 minutes of questions to finish the session and his lovely wife Katherine also popped in for some some greetings and re-connects with our members.
We look forward to another great months meeting in May at The Declan Hotel downtown and the cheese pairing from Rob "The Cheese Professor". See you all in a few weeks.
One Night Stay w/Breakfast for 2
Kona Kai Resort & Marina
Donated by Michael DaSilva
Family 4 Pack To Flower Fields In Carlsbad
Mellano & Company
Donated by Jan Sayers
Dinner for 2
Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina
Donated by Ben Schulze
Basket Of Pastry Goodies + $50 Certificate
The Grove Pastry
Donated by Teresa Johnson
The Sheryl Marie Story:
- Grew up in Redlands, CA - land of the orange grooves!
- Took her first darkroom photography class in college and developed her own film, (before digital cameras were around). She instantly fell in love with photography and started shooting weddings in college to help pay for her tuition and expenses at Cal State Fullerton. Four years later and after photographing countless weddings and portraits, She graduated with a degree in communications from Cal State Fullerton.
- Makes killer gluten free vegan oatmeal cookies!
- Works part time as a personal trainer - her clients often say "don't let that big smile deceive you...she is a tough trainer" - lf you want to be fit, talk to her. She's an expert in strength training.
- Went skydiving for her 30th birthday, about a year and a half ago.
- ln her spare time, she loves cooking healthy delicious meals, spending time with friends and loves traveling. Her most recent sight seeing was floating in the dead sea and visiting Bethlehem. Ask her about her lsrael trip! Next on her travel list is Africa - land of the hyenas and safari parks!
- At the very end of her life, she wants to stand before God and tell him that she used all the her photo talents he gave her, and I lived life to the absolute fullest!
- 13 years laters, after taking her first photography class, she is still taking pretty pictures, photographing beautiful weddings, portraits, and photobooth events all over San Diego!
1 Year Anniversary
Sydney Jo Blackman - Stacked Restaurant
Caitlin Ann Powell - Hyatt Regency La Jolla
4 Year Anniversary
Brandy Schwab - Sycuan Golf & Tennis Resort
5 Year Anniversary
Janette Lampe - Kaiser Permanente
Jose D Ramirez - AFR Furniture Rental
Melissa Darisay Thorpe - Eurobar Coffee & Wine Events